May 18, 2008

let them eat cake

sometimes I get struck by lightning... something which turns me into a domestic goodness. Well sort of. I yet have never got to urge to clean anything - doubt it will ever happen. But cooking. Sometimes I love cooking.

When I cook it mostly goes wrong.I have to many plans and try to make the most complicated recipe I can find... the result are more often then not bad. Very bad. Unlike my husband I do not have the gen that makes me able to just throw something together and it taste great. That is actually totally unfair. I had cooking classes at school. He cooked his first meal EVER in February 2003... A few times though I seem to get it right. Yesterday was one of those days.

It did not start to good. I had planned to make an easy dinner and then make a cake for dessert. I wrote a shopping list and went to fetch what I needed. Well home again I discovered that even with a list I forgot to buy half of the things I needed. My husband asked why I even bother writing a list... I can see his point.

Anyway with a bit of thinking I decided to make a pasta salad for dinner instead. Looks pretty right? You can find the recipe here



Hameed was not to fond of the idea of pasta salad for dinner. Basically he is not a salad lover. And then I read the recipe and noticed I forgot to get tomatoes and oops I also forgot to get dressing... I am not to big an of tomatoes and figured I could mix something together to make up for the missing dressing. I also added chicken to the salad instead of ham. That was totally planned though as my husband is not a ham eater.

I cut everything up and cooked the pasta. Mixed it all together and drizzle a bit olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top. And it was good. Actually it was more then good it was GREAT. Even my no salad loving husband like it and asked for seconds.

And then there was cake... Unfortunately there is no picture of said cake as my camera got left at work and we have manage to swallow the whole cake in less then 24 hours...

Yep, the cake was good too. I was on a roll last night. The cake is made after a recipe from my mum. It has nutty base and hazelnut chocolate mixed with butter and icing sugar as a topping. I was wondering how it would turn out as being here in Australia I did not have the *right* chocolate and sometimes a slight difference in ingredients make it taste 'wrong'.

I was worried for nothing. I did accidentally spill a little pepper on top of the cake (I had to do something wrong) But it still tasted very very nice.

The cleaning on the other hand... I'm a messy cook so there are dishes almost up to the ceiling in our kitchen. I. am.to.lazy. It is a shame there is no cake left, or I could have bribed someone to do the cleaning for me...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, cooking is more a creative process, really. It sounds as if - this time - you were finally able to "let go" and just cook instead of trying to do it "right." :D Good for you! I've often found, in cooking, that when I have to alter the recipe because of something I don't have or forgot to get, it turns out delicious! Try not to think about it so much next time and do what you did this time - just put good stuff together. :D

M&Co. said...

I actually have a brownie recipe which calls for pepper as one of the main spices. I thought it weird, but it works.